Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Merry Christmas
To kick off the Christmas season, I thought we could celebrate with 12 Days of Book Reviews.

Day One:
I SURVIVED THE SINKING OF THE TITANIC, 1912
by Lauren Tarshis
 
 
Image Credit: www.goodreads.com

If you have not read any of the I Survived Series, by Lauren Tarshis you are missing out. These historical fiction novels are a wonderful read for upper 2nd graders well into adulthood. I have read 5 to 7 of the novels and have not been disappointed yet. There are currently 10 books in the series. One of my favorites is The Sinking of the Titanic. Lauren Tarshis makes characters come to life by describing the setting in enough detail but not boring to the reader.
 
George and Phoebe are aboard the famous Titanic with their aunt Daisy as they travel back to their home in America where their father is waiting for them. George is a child who loves to explore and gets into mischief as he explores the ship. While George is exploring the first class storage compartment, the Titanic hits an iceberg. George returns to his cabin to discover that his younger sister went looking for him and is now lost somewhere aboard the sinking Titanic.
 
Even though we know the history of the Titanic, the real question for this story is: Will George and his family survive? These stories are idea for students who enjoy history as well as a good mystery.

Here is a list of books in the I Survived Series:
  • I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 (March 2010)
  • I Survived the Shark Attacks of 1916 (August 2010)
  • I Survived Hurricane Katrina, 2005 (March 2011)
  • I Survived the Bombing of Pearl Harbor, 1941 (October 2011)
  • I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake, 1906 (February 2012)
  • I Survived the Attacks of September 11,, 2001 (July 2012)
  • I Survived the Battle of Gettysburg, 1863 (February 2013)
  • I Survived the Japanese Tsunami, 2011 (September 2013)
  • I Survived the Nazi Invasion, 1944 (February 2014)
  • I Survived the Destruction of Pompeii, A.D. 79 (August 2014)
  • I Survived the Great Chicago Fire, 1871 (TBA)



  • No comments:

    Post a Comment